General Discussion

View Only
  • 1.  Data sources and repeatable questions

Adopter
    Posted 02-27-2024 13:23

Probably a pretty basic question but I'm new to Truecontext.

I'm trying to create a form to be used annually in a facility while conducting inspections of 300+ devices. The device locations will remain static, with each device undergoing 15 individual tests.

An excel spreadsheet data source (simple single column of data) that has all the device locations already in sequential order when walking the facility. The "Emergency Lighting Device Location" question is a dropdown that references the data source.

Everything works as I would like except for one thing. When you select a device and complete the 15 required tests you have too again go through the dropdown to start the next task. With 300+ devices scrolling through the dropdown list is very cumbersome and easy to lose your place. I was hoping that it would just automatically move to the next entry in the data source.

I'm sure that Truecontext can do it I just seem to be stuck. Any help would be awesome.

Thanks, Mike

Form

------------------------------
    Mike Saunders
    Life Safety Coordinator
    Black and McDonald

• 2.  RE: Data sources and repeatable questions

Posted 02-27-2024 16:05

Hi Mike,

Thanks for asking your question! I have one to ask you in return:

Are the 15 questions the same for each asset that your field techs need to work on? If so, then you can use the Push Data to Repeatable Sections functionality, which will allow your users to either open a subform for each asset and move between them easily, or work in the repeatable sections summary table.

If the questions vary per asset, then it's a more complicated situation. I can't quite read the screenshot, unfortunately.

Hope this helps!

Erin Longhurst
    Product Manager
    TrueContext

• 3.  RE: Data sources and repeatable questions

Adopter
    Posted 02-27-2024 16:30

Hi Erin,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the 15 questions are the same for each asset. 

Right now I am using a Repeatable Section with the data source and the15 questions.

I guess my biggest question is if I change to using Push Data to Repeatable Sections will the user still have to scroll through the previous 150 devices already tested in order to "pick" the 151st?

Thanks, Mike

Mike Saunders
    Life Safety Coordinator
    Black and McDonald

• 4.  RE: Data sources and repeatable questions

Adopter
    Posted 02-29-2024 10:43

Darn! I'm still stuck and I'm sure its just my newbie status. Watched the help video and gone through the help file "Repeatable Sections: Summary Table". Tried a few different configurations. I can change the column's and sort order (A-Z or Z-A etc.). Also tried using the data source to Push Data to Other Questions. Always seem to get the same result, a screen like this on the phone that starts in the same place and goes for 100's of entries for the location selection. The correct data though does go to the right place in the spreadsheet though. The issue is the time wasted scrolling through this long list of locations.  

Thank Mike

Location list, has 100's of entries.

Mike Saunders
    Life Safety Coordinator
    Black and McDonald

• 5.  RE: Data sources and repeatable questions

Posted 02-29-2024 11:10
    Edited by Pat Cooney 02-29-2024 12:48

Hey Mike,

I recorded this quick little video for you in hopes to shine a light on what you are trying to do but based on this last message, I am not sure that it's going to help you out. I wanted to share it anyways just in case as this allows you to sort the repeat rows that have already been pushed into the repeat section to push the completed ones to the bottom.

This is not exactly the same situation that you are talking about but the premise behind it is there is a list of tasks that you need to perform and if you mark it as complete it will hit the bottom of the list.

Does this help your situation at all or did I completely miss the mark here?

Ian Chamberlain
    Solutions Architect
    TrueContext

• 6.  RE: Data sources and repeatable questions

Adopter
    Posted 02-29-2024 11:59

Hi Ian, any help is much appreciated. Unfortunately I cannot seem to open the video (tried a couple of browsers). That being said this is a short description of what I'm trying to accomplish:

There are 330 devices, each located in a different room, scattered all over a large multi floor building. Each individual device once located will undergo 15 separate tests. When the 15 tests are completed on a device the Tech has to find the next device and repeat the same 15 tests on it. This will be repeated until all 330 devices are found and tested.

We already have a location list of all 330 devices that has been compiled in a logical sequence so a tech is not wondering aimlessly around the building. 

Currently the form begins by showing the tech the complete list of locations, starting with the first one to test (from a data source). Perfect.

The tech selects the location from the list, steps through testing Device #1 and when complete is returned to the original list of locations (same data source as earlier). to select the next device, in this case #2.

Perfectish.....

Now the here is the problem. Every time a tech completes testing a device they are returned to the list of locations. All 300 locations, right back to the start. Now they have to scroll through every location already tested before they can move on. No big deal for 10 but 300 not so efficient and easy to get confused. 

I need the list of locations to stop displaying those already selected.

Hope this clears thing up, and I really appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Thanks again, Mike.

Mike Saunders
    Life Safety Coordinator
    Black and McDonald

• 7.  RE: Data sources and repeatable questions

Staff
    Posted 02-29-2024 12:51

Hi Mike, I just wanted to hop in here and say that there is something funky going on with that video embed. I'm looking into it as I'm finding it really odd and inconsistent when I'm testing what's going on there.

In the meantime, however, you can access the video through this link: https://community.truecontext.com/viewdocument/sortingfiltering-repeat-summary-ta-1?CommunityKey=06d164b5-e244-40d2-8150-e08b7aeafb89&tab=librarydocuments

I hope that helps :)

Pat Cooney
    Community Engineer
    TrueContext
    community@truecontext.com

• 8.  RE: Data sources and repeatable questions

Adopter
    Posted 02-29-2024 13:07

Pat, I can see the video now. Thank you. Mike

Mike Saunders
    Life Safety Coordinator
    Black and McDonald

• 9.  RE: Data sources and repeatable questions

Staff
    Posted 03-01-2024 10:34
    Edited by Karen Cann 03-01-2024 10:34

Hi Mike,

I'm wondering if a cascading data source filter might help you. There's information about this in our Product Documentation Portal: https://docs.truecontext.com/1374411/Content/Published/115003319786.html#:~:text=a%20specific%20value.-,Cascading%20Data%20Source%20filters,-You%20can%20%E2%80%9Cstack

Hope that helps!

Best regards,

Karen

Karen Cann
    Senior Technical Writer
    TrueContext
    Bridgewater

Reminder: Content posted to our Community is public content.  Please be careful not to post Intellectual Property that you do not have permission to share.  For more information please refer to our Terms Of Use