General Discussion

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Let's talk about DREL

• 1.  Let's talk about DREL

Posted 09-18-2023 11:29

Hi Everyone

I'm a Product Manager here at ProntoForms (soon to be TrueContext) and wanted to ask for some targeted feedback on one of our features: DREL.

I'm interested in any sort of feedback really, but here are some prompts to get you thinking:

1. How comfortable are you using DREL? 
    2. Is there data you wish you could get through DREL that you can't at the moment?
    3. Is there anything you find difficult to do using DREL?
    4. Are you using DREL in any non-obvious ways?
    5. Do you have any tips on using DREL?
    6. Do you try to use the same unique IDs in different forms so that the same DREL expression will work for multiple forms?

Looking forward to hearing from the community!

Here's one tip to get us started:

Say you have two fields in your form, but only 1 is ever populated at a time. You don't need any fancy logic on which one to show in your outputs because you can simply reference both and since one will be empty and the other populated, only one will show.

For example, my installation form takes either an asset number or a serial number. If I want this number in the filename I can simply do:

and since the empty field doesn't return anything, not even a space, you will get a nice consistent filename without any obvious gaps of missing data (as long as you don't put a space between the two answers).

This works especially well for our Custom Excel Document if you need 1 of a set of mutually exclusive values, but in the same cell:

------------------------------
    Natalie Tallon
    Product Manager
    ProntoForms
    ntallon@prontoforms.com

• 2.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Adopter
    Posted 09-19-2023 09:54

Hi Natalie,

I use DREL quite a bit in Excel docs and in document names, data destinations, etc.

One feature that I would love to see is some text transformation functions - even simple things like the ability to convert the answer to uppercase would be very useful.

Something like %a[Building Name][@upper], etc.

Another minor thing, I don't believe there is a way to get the owner of a submission with DREL. %u gets you the submitter, but if you transfer a form via Teamwork, the owner and the submitter are two different users and there's no way to get the owner until they submit the form. At some point I tried to use destinations to track who was transferring forms between users, but there didn't seem to be a way to figure out who the form was getting transferred to (e.g. the new owner.) The Submission/Teamwork API was also missing this functionality last I checked. That was fairly early on in the Teamwork release so it's possible those have been added and I missed them though.

Calvin Hunter
    Project Manager
    Vipond Inc
    calvin.hunter@vipond.ca

• 3.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Posted 09-19-2023 10:09

Thanks Calvin!

Interesting - it had never occurred to me about that sort of text transformation function – I'm curious, if this is an option-based question (i.e. button group with Yes/No), why would the form options NOT be uppercase but the output should be?

What other text transformations would be useful? Is this for areas other than the Custom Excel Document? I never thought to try something like =UPPER(%a[UniqueID]) in Excel, I'll try that out a bit later today. I suppose if that doesn't work, I could put the %a[UniqueID] in a reference cell and the use =UPPER(ReferenceCell) if I can't combine it all in one.

As for the second, thank you for the reminder on this – I remember this from a while back – having that ability makes a lot of sense.

Natalie Tallon
    Product Manager

Join our Community! / Get Help!

• 4.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Adopter
    Posted 09-19-2023 10:49

Hi Natalie,

In my case, it's text inputs, and users generally enter lower case when using a phone. This is only an issue when using DREL in data destinations or as document filenames, etc.

e.g., user enters a building address in varying case, and we'd prefer it be converted it to uppercase for the filename when the document is generated. 

In Excel docs I do some transformations myself using the reference method you mentioned, that works fine. 

You can of course restrict text input to forbid lowercase letters with regex, but that's a really frustrating experience for the user, especially on a mobile device.

Calvin Hunter
    Project Manager
    Vipond Inc
    calvin.hunter@vipond.ca

• 5.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Posted 09-19-2023 11:18

Text formatting is something we also discussed perhaps including within the form builder. In this way text is re-formatted automatically on the device to the desired case. 

Craig MacMaster
    Senior User Experience Designer
    ProntoForms

• 6.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Adopter
    Posted 09-19-2023 15:39

@Craig MacMaster

I think you and I discussed this at some point as well. That would be an acceptable alternative (or addition), maybe even preferable in most cases. It would be better for the user to understand that the case they type in doesn't matter - I do have users that know everything is converted to uppercase, and others that don't, and some (very few) of those do occasionally go through the extra effort to properly capitalize words, etc. for no real reason. 

@Natalie Tallon

There are definitely work arounds in most situations. The only situation I have in use at the moment (that I can think of) without an available work around is attached files on e-mail data destinations. 

Calvin Hunter
    Project Manager
    Vipond Inc
    calvin.hunter@vipond.ca

• 7.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Posted 09-19-2023 12:03

Thanks for these additional details, that really helps us understand better - it also opens it up for different ways to potentially address the pain point.

I can see why filenames with inconsistent case use would be bothersome, especially if the street address is used to sort or if search is case-sensitive in the system you are using. Not to mention the grammar rules for a proper noun such as a street name, says that the first letter should be capitalized.

Using REGEX for uppercase - I could see why that would be extremely frustrating for an end user.

Outside of our system, perhaps you could do something with PowerAutomate or a SharePoint List calculation field if you use Microsoft 365.

Natalie Tallon
    Product Manager
    ProntoForms
    ntallon@prontoforms.com

• 8.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Adopter
    Posted 03-01-2024 20:46

Goodness yes!

Not having a way to be able to extract the Form Owner seems like a wasted opportunity. 

Our company wants to be able to identify what forms are currently outstanding (ie, need approval) and to do that now, each day the admin (myself) needs to go into the portal and create a manual list to push out to our team. Also, not having the Form Owner as part of the form metadata columns when pulling a CSV list is also a wasted opportunity.

I was hoping to be able to pull a SharePoint List that updates as the form gets added when unapproved, then dropped off when approved using the "Form Owner" but I'm going to have to rethink my logic on how to extract this data on a real time basis.

Having a form Owner DREL id would be ideal.

Kylie Clarke
    Contracts Manager
    Anderson Environmental Contracting
    WA

• 9.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Posted 03-05-2024 09:35

Hi Kylie

This is a very timely ask, I'm a product manager here at TrueContext and this was a recent topic between Product & Engineering. I believe your CSM, Chris, is going to introduce us by email so that we can set up a customer interview with you around your approval process - if you are amenable to that.

I agree and understand the need to be able to query the owner of a data record. It sounds like you are using Teamwork for this process, have you built it to have an edit loop between the requester and the approver? i.e. can the approver transfer it back to the requester for them to make edits?

Natalie Tallon
    Product Manager
    TrueContext
    ntallon@truecontext.com

• 10.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Adopter
    Posted 03-14-2024 18:58

Hi Natalie –

Thanks for reaching out. I would be very amiable to discussing our approval process with you.

In relation to your Teamwork questions, the answer is no, we have not built a loop because it's not part of our process. Our workflow is (in simplified terms)

Person completes form in the field.

1. Person reviews form and approves, then
      1. Form is filed (SharePoint)
      2. Form is sent to Payroll for input.
      3. Form is emailed back to all parties involved for audit trail purposes.

OR INSTAEAD OF ITEM 2

1. Person reviews forms and approves – with changes, then
      1. Form is sent to Payroll for adjusting.
      2. Payroll approves form.

i.      Form is filed (SharePoint)

ii.      Form is emailed back to all parties involved for audit trail purposes.

We don't send forms back for editing, we move them through a system of review with the final version being the (clearly) audited version that all parties get copies of.

Let me know when you might want to meet and we can set up a Teams meeting. Looking forward to connecting with you.

Kylie Clarke
    Contracts Manager
    Anderson Environmental Contracting
    WA

• 11.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Posted 03-18-2024 13:26

Hi Kylie

Thank you for the additional details and willingness to tell us more. I'll reach out by email to set up a meeting.

Natalie Tallon
    Product Manager
    TrueContext
    ntallon@truecontext.com

• 12.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Adopter
    Posted 09-25-2023 17:17

Hi Natalie,

Overall I think DREL is super easy to use - I was actually training on data destinations earlier today and we briefly covered this topic. In particular, the DREL "preview" that populates under Email Header line in the destination builder makes it super easy to use and learn.

I definitely try to use similar question IDs across forms to standardize DREL references. This has allowed us to use a single destination across multiple different forms by pulling additional emails from different questions and customizing the email body and subject line. 

With that being said it would be great if we could have some sort of "global variable" library when building forms, configuring destination, etc, in the platform. Currently if we need to match a large number of Question IDs, we will copy the form and use it as a template, but this can create a lot of rework that is very time consuming. However if there was a way to search a library of standards that the admin has set up, it would be easier to build new forms that align with the previous forms. 

OR if there was a way to edit Questions IDs (or even question text, but maybe I'm getting greedy) in a table format, so you do not have to click into each question that would be incredibly helpful. 

Thanks, 

CC

Cecily Stelly
    Analyst
    Johnson Controls

• 13.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Posted 09-26-2023 13:32

Thanks Cecily, I appreciate your insight here.

The real-time simulation of the output when building statements with DREL *is* a great feature. Glad it is helpful.

As for the rest, having a library like that would be ideal. If we did build something like that I'm sure we would want to reach out to you and get many more details, but in the meantime, how do you see this working? Would forms 'share' the same section, so if a change is made, it is made everywhere? or would these templates just be used for the initial copy? No future changes flow down to where it was copied into a form? There are pros and cons for each way. Curious to know your thoughts on this.

Natalie Tallon
    Product Manager
    ProntoForms
    ntallon@prontoforms.com

• 14.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Adopter
    Posted 09-27-2023 17:50

Hi Natalie, 

I think I potentially see this more as a new type of section where the user can access organization wide templates of x number of predefined questions and labels (without having to copy a form and remove all of the unneeded questions, resetting the form to default settings, removing conditional logic etc.) 

• Example: "Customer Information" Section would include Customer Name, Site Address, Primary Technician... 
      • Once I select the Customer Information section, I can remove or add questions (at my own discretion) but the starting IDs will be standardized and map correctly, but would be a quick way to start with frequently used questions. 
      • I think the big thing here is that I could use this feature at any point in a form, not just initially creation, and could use multiple org templates in a single form. 

Not sure about automatically pushing changes down once the template has already been used in a form - that is something I would have to think through more in terms of our specific use cases. I do think in that case, there would be a need to prevent users from using a question ID in a form if that question ID is already part of a template (Question IDs in templates would be "off-limits" to add manually in forms without using a template to prevent unwanted changes). 

Let me know if that makes any sense! 

Cecily Stelly
    Analyst
    Johnson Controls

• 15.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Adopter
    Posted 09-28-2023 13:39

I'm going to second this idea from Cecily! I would love to have a custom DREL library that I could reference to keep form question labels consistent. She's right – there can be a lot of work copying a form, deleting questions, just because you want to keep the labels consistent. I know we have several forms that have this issue today. Example: One a common form question is Customer, but the label on one form might be Customer, and on another it might be Facility.  We have these inconsistencies scattered throughout our forms and it bugs me 😊  It would be sweet if there was a little pop up in the form builder showing your library if you click on an option for it when typing out the question label. Then you could just click a library item and the form builder adds the text for you to the label.

However, I think in our case the library would be used mostly for new forms going forward, and less to go back and update labels. This is because we have  integrations and destinations relying on those labels staying the same. Without a quick way of seeing every destination that a label is referenced in, it wouldn't be worth updating any labels because of the potential headache it could cause un-knotting the subsequent errors. Although, I do love the idea of an Update All button that would go through every form and/or destination and change anywhere that references a specific DREL label, like Facility to switch to Customer. Kind of like a find/replace feature to make this cleanup much more efficient.

Lisa Zido
    Technical Systems Analyst
    GOJO Industries Inc.
    OH

• 16.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Posted 10-03-2023 09:36

I know that annoyance well Lisa, what comes to mind from my personal life is inconsistent storage boxes, and then inconsistent labels on them, inconsistent syntax on file folders and it goes on and on......   never ending frustration that I am only starting to be able to ignore :D

Having inconsistent Unique IDs across forms would definitely bug me too but is it worth the effort to go back? Probably hard to justify as you are saying AND potentially dangerous since data destinations are stored on the server and not versioned, while form versions are versioned. I'll explain why that's an issue: 

If you change the Unique ID on the form and then update the data destination to use the updated Unique ID, all users regardless of form version will be pointing to the updated data destination expecting the updated Unique ID, but if their form isn't also up to date, the changed Unique IDs won't line up. You could get around this by creating a new data destination when you change the label, but that's even more work.

I think your idea of standardizing going forward make sense.

I don't see us building an Update All feature anytime soon, but we have a few requests for Data Destination reports, so I'll keep what you said in mind.

Thanks Lisa!

Natalie Tallon
    Product Manager
    ProntoForms
    ntallon@prontoforms.com

• 17.  RE: Let's talk about DREL

Posted 10-03-2023 08:53

Thanks Cecily, that makes a lot of sense, especially the 'reserved Unique ID' concept and wanting the library available at any time when editing the form, not just at creation. Appreciate all the input!

Natalie Tallon
    Product Manager
    ProntoForms
    ntallon@prontoforms.com

Reminder: Content posted to our Community is public content.  Please be careful not to post Intellectual Property that you do not have permission to share.  For more information please refer to our Terms Of Use